Cost: €50 first visit
The pill is a tablet containing two female hormones (oestrogen and progestogen).
How it Works
Hormones stop a woman ovulating (releasing an egg each month). There are many different brands of pill with different combinations of hormones. Your GP will advise you on the correct hormone combination that suits you.
- Does not interrupt sex
- Useful for women who can reliably take pills on a daily basis
- Often reduces bleeding, period pain and PMT (Pre-Menstrual Tension)
- Can protect against cancer of the ovaries and womb
- Vomiting, diarrhoea, antibiotics and some other prescribed drugs can interfere with its effectiveness. In all instances another method of contraception would have to be used.
- Not suitable for women with conditions such as high blood pressure, smokers over 35 or women who are breastfeeding. Your GP will advise you on the correct contraceptive for you
- Does not protect against sexually transmitted infections
- Not available without a prescription
Women's Health Clinic, Dublin, Ireland.
No, unfortunately repeat pill prescriptions are available only if you have had a consultation with our clinic. This can be done in person or remotely.