Egg donation treatment is required when ovarian reserve is depleted. If you had this diagnosis you have probably been referred abroad as availability of egg donors is scarce in Ireland.
Choosing a clinic abroad can be a minefield so at Femplus Clinic we have developed a satellite programme that we are very proud of.
If you are doing your own research here are some tips to help you.
- Look for hidden costs in satellite packages. Some clinics that offer support before you travel do not include investigations or all the scans in their packages. All these costs can add up quite a lot.
- Investigate travel and flights. Some countries might seem to offer an attractive price but they might not be so easy to travel to. Flights might be infrequent or much more expensive than other countries.
- Look at what is included in the treatment. Are there extra costs for culturing embryos for longer?
- The day of embryo transfer is very important to increase success rates.
- Is the clinic offering extra medications. Sometimes patients think that adding extra medications will improve their chances. In actual fact many medications recommended by some clinics have not been proven to be beneficial at all and might be harmful.
- Ethical and medical guidelines are not the same in every country. Some regulations are more stringent in some countries but there are benefits for your safety if that is the situation. Make sure you investigate which International accreditation does the clinic have.
- If all this information sounds obscure to you maybe you should get a medical opinion to help you make your choice.
Author Rita Galimberti Femplus Clinic